WHY BUY A XOOTR SCOOTER?
Under many conditions scooters are the fastest way to travel distances of less than a mile. Walking a half mile on level ground takes about 10 minutes for a reasonably fit adult. On a kick scooter, you can travel the same distance in 3 minutes. For people who make frequent trips of about a half mile, these savings can add up to several hours a week. Bicycles are slightly faster than scooters once you get going, but they often require cumbersome lugging in and out of a building, or locking/unlocking outside. In most settings, a kick scooter beats a bike door to door for trips of up to 3/4 mile.
Scooters are really fun. There is something liberating and fundamental about denying friction with two wheels and a platform. Scooters enable social connections. Two people can comfortably ride side by side on a walkway and carry on a conversation. Scooters work well in crowds at low speeds, enabling a rider to navigate a crowded boardwalk or campus path. Scooters are great for just hanging out, scooting from the cafe to the dorm or scoping out the surf.
Scooters have been around for decades. Yet the Xootr scooter reinvents the category. The Xootr scooter offers these benefits:
- Sweet ride. In an effort many viewed as overkill, the Xootr was designed by a team that normally designs race cars. The Xootr has ultra-glide polyurethane tires running on nearly frictionless bearings. These wheels give the Xootr the lowest rolling resistance of any small-wheeled vehicle. The glide is several times better than in-line skates, skateboards, and pneumatic-tired portable scooters. (detailed discussion of wheels.) The steering geometry (camber, trail, wheelbase, etc.) was optimized for quick, yet stable handling.
- Gets small quick. The Xootr goes from fully deployed to a compact folded configuration in less than 10 seconds. (See the Xootr fold.) The small size allows the Xootr to stow in the trunk of a car, under a desk, in a locker, or behind a door.
- Goes where you go. The Xootr goes with you on the bus or train. It goes with you in the office or classroom. You don't need to worry about where you left it. You don't need to worry about it being stolen from a bike rack.
- High design. The Xootr has been described by normally jaded Silicon Valley engineers as "a work of art." The industrial design of the Xootr was done by Lunar Design, one of the five most award winning design firms in the country.
- Assembled by hand in the USA. Several of our customers have remarked that companies just don't make products like this anymore. The Xootr is basically machined from solid chunks of aluminum and then carefully assembled by hand.
Who Uses a Xootr?
Originally, we expected the Xootr to be primarily for college students. We've been amazed that our customers defy categorization. Students love the Xootr, but our customers include: middle school youth, commuters, senior citizens who view the Xootr as a nostalgic reminder of their youth, manufacturing engineers in factories, urban dwellers who use the scooter as their primary mode of transportation, and families that stow a pair of Xootr scooters in their boat or RV.
Back to Xootr Scooters.